Labor & Employment
Employment Practices Liability Insurance
Wyatt, Tarrant & Combs' employment team has vast experience with employment practices liability (“EPL”) defense, including defending insureds for claims brought against them in state and federal courts, before all administrative agencies, and prior to lawsuits when demands are made. Our attorneys have experience defending insureds pursuant to all state and federal employment laws, including Title VII, ADEA, ADA, FMLA, FLSA, NLRA, GINA, and OSHA. We also defend clients against employment-related torts. Insureds are often so pleased with our defense of EPL claims that they often become clients after the claims have resolved, which shows the dedication and depth of service we provide insureds.
Our lawyers are experienced with the defense of EPL claims, so we know the value of timely reporting, providing realistic budgets, and efficient staffing of cases. We also know the value of early assessment of cases.
We have seen every type of matter covered by EPL policies and have been successful in this practice area. Our recent successes include:
- Defended an insured bank on a charge alleging discrimination. The EEOC found no probable cause after investigation.
- Represented an insured private college on labor and employment matter involving dismissal of professor. After jury trial, obtained defense verdict for client.
- Represented an insured city in a religious discrimination lawsuit brought by a former employee and removed to federal court. Obtained summary judgment dismissal after discovery.
- Obtained early summary judgment and dismissal of civil rights suit against medical provider brought by a former employee alleging wrongful discharge and retaliation, and discrimination based on age and race.
- Attained voluntary dismissal of $750,000 federal civil rights case involving state and federal employment claims after favorable plaintiff's deposition.
- Obtained favorable settlement of matter for an insured private college wherein a former employee alleged discrimination.
- Obtained unanimous jury verdict in favor of insured college in breach of tenure contract case.
- Obtained unanimous jury verdict in favor of insured client rejecting employee’s claim of pay discrimination.
Our employment lawyers have been honored by their peers and many of the EPLI team have been recognized as Super Lawyers and Rising Stars in the field of employment law. They are also nationally known in the field. For instance, EPLI Team Leader, Sharon Gold, has spoken at the ACI National Conference on Employment Practices Liability Insurance in 2014, 2015 and January 2016.
Our lawyers stay abreast of EPL marketplace and underwriting trends; tactics for moving EPL litigation to early resolution; and EPL risk management “best practices.” We bring that information back and share it with our clients through regular employment law seminars and individual training sessions with clients at their places of business. We have even brought in EEOC Commissioner Constance Barker to speak to our employment law clients on the current initiatives, emerging trends and “lessons learned.” Our clients enjoy keeping up to date with employment law issues with our Employment Law Blog that is available here.
We believe in preventative counseling and are frequently asked to advise employers prior to termination or discipline of an employee in order to minimize the risks thereof.